Complementary therapies such as aromatherapy, oncology massage, reflexology and reiki may be used for cancer symptom relief. They can boost patients’ health before, during and after cancer treatment. For more efficient results, we also suggest you try various of self-care routines.
Brighton Wellbeing lead massage therapist Barbara works as an oncology aromatherapist at Montefiore Hospital providing oncology massage treatments and reiki to chemotherapy and post-surgical patients. These sessions are tailored to relieve secondary symptoms of cancer (nausea, insomnia, pain, depression and anxiety to list some) and promote relaxation and well-being in a safe and non-invasive way. Additionally, she is currently providing aromatherapy treatments to the staff, nurses and doctors at the Brighton Sussex Cancer Centre and at the Breast Cancer unit in Preston Park, Brighton.
Possible advantages of complementary treatments for cancer patients:
- Feel more in control
- Improve the quality of life
- Reduce stress, tension and anxiety
- Sleep better
- Relieve some cancer symptoms
- Lessen some of the side effects of cancer treatment, such as fatigue, nausea, diarrhoea and loss of appetite
- Provide pain relief and reduce the need for pain medication
- Increase range of motion
- Improve bowel activity
- Increase elasticity to scarred areas
- Provide relief from isolation
- Offer meaningful interaction
- Give patient a sense of participation in the healing process
- Re-build hope
Treatments for cancer patients:
IT IS IMPORTANT TO TELL YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT ANY COMPLEMENTARY THERAPY THAT YOU USE. THIS WAY YOUR DOCTOR WILL ALWAYS HAVE THE FULL PICTURE OF YOUR CARE AND TREATMENT.
Barbara is available for hospital, hospice and home visits throughout East Sussex.