WHAT IS TMJ?
The temporomandibular joint (TMJ) is the joint that connects the lower jaw (mandible) to the temporal bone of the skull. Temporomandibular joint disorder, known more commonly as TMD, occurs when there are problems with the muscles and jaws in the face, for example pain in the face, jaw or ear area. TMJ massage can be an effective treatment form to reduce the symptoms of TMD and other issues.
WHAT IS TMD?
Some of the most common TMD symptoms include:
- Pain in the face, jaw or ear area
- Tenderness when you chew, speak, or open your mouth wide
- Headaches (often mimicking migraines), earaches, and pain and pressure behind the eyes
- A clicking or popping sound when opening or closing the mouth
- Jaw that “gets stuck,” locked in the open- or closed-mouth position or goes out of place
- Tenderness of the jaw muscles
- Swelling of the face
HOW DOES TMJ MASSAGE WORK?
A dentist can help identify the source of the pain with a thorough exam and appropriate X-rays, after which they can refer the patient to a massage therapist. Some TM problems can be relieved with massage, especially if the issue is related to soft tissue. Trigger point therapy can be an effective treatment form for reducing pain and improving function. The TMJ massage treatment is often focused around the neck and shoulders, in most cases the trapezius, sub occipitals and SCM.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF TMJ MASSAGE?
- decreases in pain, muscle tension, stress and restrictions in the neck and facial muscles
- improved posture
- promoted blood circulation
- relieved stiff muscles
- lowered blood pressure
- increased flexibility
HOW CAN I BOOK A TMJ MASSAGE AT BRIGHTON WELLBEING CLINIC?
You can book a TMJ massage at Brighton Wellbeing online by clicking the link below or by calling 01273 92 17 92. You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org to book.