What is Gut Health?
Gut Health is known as the function and balance of bacteria found in different parts of our gastrointestinal tract. It is commonly known that food is broken down in the gut so that it can enter the bloodstream and be delivered as nutrients throughout the body.
However this is only possible if we have a healthy gut because it will contain the healthy bacteria and immune cells that ward off infectious agents. Also a healthy gut communicates with the brain through nerves and hormones to maintain general health and wellbeing.
What are the symptoms of Gut Health Issues?
- Abdominal Pain
- Loose Stools
- Sudden weight loss for no reason
- Blood in the stool
- Black Stool (a sign of bleeding in the gut)
- Severe Vomiting
- Yellow discolouration of the skin or eyes, also known as Jaundice
How can we improve our Gut Health?
Food and Drink
- Avoid Fried Food
- Consume alcohol and caffeine in moderation to control symptoms of acid reflux.
- Fresh vegetables and fruit are excellent food that improve gut health.
- Drink water regularly to create a beneficial effect on the balance of good bacteria in the gut.
- Write a diary for the food intolerances you have which affect your gut.
Getting the recommended 7-8 hours sleep daily is critical for keeping your gut healthy.
The gut symptoms you can develop if do not get the adequate amount of sleep can include:
Doing regular exercise can help with reducing stress levels as well as reaching and maintaining a healthy weight which are big positives for your gut health.